Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Pumpkin Door Wreath

Today I am feeling lazy. It is a cold and dreary day. All I want to do is curl up in my bed with a good book or a movie and not move. I don't know if it was all the excitement from Saturday's party (which was a blast by the way) or the sullen mood from Sunday (I had to go to a memorial service for a family member who passed away) but the last couple of days I have found it hard to motivate myself. The weather hasn't helped the situation any either, but since it is fall in the midwest it is not likely to improve that much for a while.

Every couple of months I try to change out the wreath that hangs on my front door so that it reflects the mood and tone of the season or holiday. But, since so much has been going on in my life lately I haven't had a chance to sit down and make a new door wreath until now, and I would say that it is BEYOND past due, since the wreath currently on my front door is from JULY.

When I think of fall, one of the first things that comes to mind is PUMPKINS. These orange little gourds are simply everywhere. So, why not on my front door? I had an idea of what I wanted it to look like in my head, (a piece of cardstock cut out in the shape of a pumpkin with orange rosettes glued onto it) so all I had to do was create it. Sounds simple, right? Well it would have been if my mom hadn't burst out laughing at my attempt to draw a pumpkin template. That plus the fact that simply cutting it out of a 12 x 12 piece of cardstock would have made the overall wreath rather small on the door. I was truly stumped. What do I do now? Luckily, my mom came through and saved the project with the perfect solution, to use a placemat or something that is already shaped like a pumpkin instead. So, off to the Dollar Tree I went and as luck would have it within 10 seconds of walking in the door I found EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I used some scrap cardstock to fill in the eyes, nose and mouth of the pumpkin and set to gluing on the rosettes. I have to say the final result looks exactly like the one that I had created in my head. I love when things work out!


No comments:

Post a Comment